+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Logical Process

Default Logical Process

"Sometimes we make the love of the Prophet sallalahu alaihi wa alihi wasalam a logical process i.e “Quran and Sunnah tell me to love him, so I love him.” But when we love our children and families, we don’t love them through a logical process, rather we are ready to give everything including our life for them, we are emotionally attached to them. The Prophet sallalahu alaihi wa alihi wasalam said in a hadith in Bukhari "One will not be a complete believer until they love me more than their children and fathers..." This hadith is to counter that logical process i.e. if you are emotionally attached to your children and family and willing to give everything for them including your life, then my love aught to be far more greater than that to reach the perfection of your imaan."

Shaykh Muhammad Bin Yahya Al Husayni – The Reality of Loving the Messenger of Allah (sallalahu alaihi wa alihi wasalam)

https://plus.google.com/117963836323915127722

The Party's emphasis on thinking rationally about the deen does not mean that we ignore human emotions. Emotions are a part of all of us. The problem arises when you come across people who rely on emotional belief which lacks a rational basis, to the point that when someone appeals to those emotions but that person's underlying agenda is haram- it's easier to sway someone whose concepts are based on emotional belief. We've seen it happen so many times. It's also easier to convince someone to resort to pragmatism like the Muslim Brotherhood style if that person's basis is emotional belief.

Salam
    I think what you are saying is very correct. Both emotion and thinking rationally (correct understandings) are very important.
    After living in the Arabs world for 6 years and interacting with all sorts of Muslims,it has become clear to me that the majority
    of the Muslims are attached to Islam emotionally, however their concepts regarding the correct Islamic understandings are not
    clear. For instance the situation in Egypt has deteriorated considerably since 6 years ago, therefore you find many Egyptians instead
    of longing to the Islamic state, they say they wish Mubarak comes back, for them daily living is the most important thing.
    However I noticed some subtle changes in the mentality of the people, they started to realize that there is no hope without Islam,
    the only problem in my opinion is that they are not aware of the fact that the Islamic creed is a political creed in the first place and
    you cannot separate politics from Islam. All this onslaught on Islam is bound to cause Islamic awakening, it may take sometimes
    but it is happening. The human race, Muslims or non-Muslims has one of 2 options either total destruction or return to correct Islam.
    I have no doubt, it will choose the second option.

How did the Sahabah(ra) became Muslims? Did they sit down for a rational thinking process?

Some of them heard the Quran directly from Rasoolullah and whatever comes from his(sallallahu alaihi wassalam) noble tongue contains certain transformative power.Therefore,it becomes necessary to learn all aspect of Islam from a chain of scholars going back to the Rasoolullah(Saw).

The point of reciting Salawat on Rasool(saw) is to keep the connection(silat)..like an always ON internet connection.Otherwise,it will be a unstable dial up connection.

Rationally you can explain health hazards of smoking to someone,but its very difficult to get him to HATE it.Same rules apply to LOVE

How are we supposed to love someone whom we have never seen or communicated with?

I never dismissed the idea of having an emotional connection in terms of love for the deen and love for the Prophet (saw). I just take issue with the fact that without the rational basis, those emotions can be swayed and misled. Just look at the Barelvis in Pakistan- they are the ones who make the most noise about their love for the Prophet (saw) to the point that they fall into sin and ironically, often curse or put down people who say the sunnah should be taken as a basis for actions and not just cultural traditions (which are often mixed with hindu and other shirk traditions).

Commitment is usually the manifestation of love anyway. You mention the example of loving ones family. If a man loves his family, he'd do his utmost to manifest that love in his actions, such as working hard to provide for them, protecting them from harm and looking out for them etc- these actions show commitment. On the other hand, if he kept telling his kids he loved them but then moved to another town to live with his girlfriend and hardly kept in touch, then his family would think his talk of love was just lip service because that love wasn't really reflected in his actions.

So it could be argued that commitment to acting on the Sunnah is a real indicator of love for the Prophet (saw). I see where you're coming from, but I just don't view the topic in the same way.

sister neelu
    your post is excellent , we hope to participate more

+ Reply to Thread