+ Reply to Thread

Thread: People were destroyed because of their excessive questioning (Hadith)

Default People were destroyed because of their excessive questioning (Hadith)

On the authority of Abu Hurayrah Abdur’Rahman ibn Sakhr (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: “I heard the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) saying”: “What I have forbidden you, stay away from. What I have ordered you to do, do as much of it as you can. Verily, the people before you were destroyed only because of their excessive questioning and their disagreeing with their prophets”.

Reported in Bukhari and Muslim

Some people use this hadith to suggest that you shouldn't ask too many questions or even go in to too much details. They say people were destroyed because of their excessive questioning.

What I find strange is that when you discuss a controversial matter especially one that requires major changes in ones life and the overall attitude towards Islam only then this hadith is mentioned to dismiss something they feel uncomfortable with.

Excessive Questioning in this hadith is not saying do not search for the Hukm of Allah but not to ask in such manner that one starts opposing what revelation has brought.

And Allah knows best.

Any thoughts?

Questioning was discouraged during the time of the Prophet (saw) because silence of the Prophet (saw) is itself an evidence. So if the Prophet (saw) did not stop someone from doing an act, that act would be considered mubah because of silence of the Prophet (Saw).Questioning was discouraged in these mubah matters because a thing initially mubah for the ummah could become haram due to questioning about it.

Questioning was also discouraged regarding useless issues which has no relation with Sharia rulings. (E.g. Someone asked the Prophet (Saw) who his real father was?) These types of useless questions were also discouraged during the time of the Prophet (saw).

Regarding the time after the Prophet (Saw) anyone can ask any question, as now sharia is complete and there is no danger of any mubah act becoming haram due to questioning of anyone.

Allah(swt) knows best.
    And to Allah belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. And all matters go back to Allah. (3:109)

Jazak Allah Khair observer - I agree with you and I hope others too will realise one day InshaAllah.

Recently, I was told how some brothers use hadith like this to suggest that one doesn't have to look for evidences before doing and action and only correct themselves if they come across an evidence. So basically do the action (other than ibadat) even if you don't know the evidences and attempting to find out the hukm on every occasion (other than ibadat) will lead to "excessive questioning".

Again not very convincing but there you have it.

+ Reply to Thread